• EWP 03
  • EWP 01
  • EWP 02

Elevating Work Platform - EWP

TLILIC2005 Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more)

This WorkCover licence covers the operation of a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device or any combination of these used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated to perform work, where the boom length is 11 metres or more. The 11 metre boom length shall be taken to mean the greater of the following:

  • the vertical distance from the floor of the platform to the ground supporting the elevating work platform with the platform at its maximum height, or the nominal reach measured from the centre point of rotation to the outer edge of the platform in its most extended position.
  • the nominal reach measured from the centre point of rotation to the outer edge of the platform in its most extended position.

This is a compulsory licence which must be obtained prior to operating any EWP of greater than 11mtrs.

MHTG conducts regular 3 day training and assessment programs with the flexibility to deliver the same quality service almost anywhere in NSW.

Note: Unlicensed operators are no longer permitted to operate an EWP under supervision whilst completing a log book unless previously enrolled in an accredited course and have undertaken formal training

High Risk Work Licences in partnership with RCC RTO No 90133

EWP Yellow Card

The EWP Yellow card is a nationally recognised operator training program for Scissor Lift, Vertical Lift & Boom Type EWP’s (Self Mobile, Truck Mount & Trailer Mount). Whilst these are all classed as EWPs, each one is very different in use and safe operation.

This is what is called a “Duty of Care Course” aimed at meeting an employer’s duty of care to their employees to provide training for operation of equipment. Therefore it is recognised by WorkCover as a legitimate form of evidence as validation of the employer fulfilling their duty of care to their employees. This is NOT a WorkCover licence. If you need to operate an EWP over 11mtrs, you will still require a high risk licence.

Do I need both?

The short answer is YES. Let’s look at an example:
Joe does a high risk licence course for EWP over 11mtrs. He completes training and assessment successfully and gets his little plastic licence card from WorkCover to show he is licenced. In training Joe only got to use a trailer mounted EWP, but when he goes back to work the boss has hired a self mobiling EWP. The problem here is that Joe has a licence to operate one, but has only ever been trained in the safe use of a trailer mount. Therefore as an employer, even though Joe is licenced, you could still breach your duty of care because he hasn’t had training specific to that machine. That’s where the yellow card comes in.

Bridging The Gap

The WHS Act states that employers have a duty of care to their employees to provide information, instruction, training and supervision necessary to ensure the health and safety of employees at work.
What this means, in reality, is that there needs to be some form of proof that the operator has been trained in the safe use of an elevating work platform (EWP). Verbal instruction tends to be hard to prove in a court of law, so the favoured solution is something in writing - hence the EWP Operator Ticket (or Yellow Card).

While the high risk WorkCover licence covers this in part, it is not specific in the identification of what type of EWP the licence holder has been trained in, nor does this licence cover the use of Scissor Lift type work platforms, therefore the EWP Yellow Card bridges this gap ensuring that all parties meet their duty of care requirements.

Yellow Card Courses: MHTG delivers a 6hr package which includes as standard Scissor Lift and or Trailer Mounted Boom Lift. Addition classes can be incorporated as required, please call for pricing & booking options.

Subscribe to the MHTG Newsletter